A wireless bridge to use wireless access points to connect two different networks. Computers connected to these wireless access points use them as wireless network cards to connect to the Internet and between them. There are many benefits associated with connecting two routers to form a bridge, but the most notable of all is the absence of performance issues. Bridge mode is a special configuration, which turns off NAT feature on the modem and gives permission to the router to function as DHCP server without an IP address conflict.
If you connect multiple routers, then you will see a significant change in the network coverage. Any router can be used to work in a bridge mode, but you need to keep in mind that the two routers you are using should be of exact same configuration and specifications because then, chances of errors are less. Belkin Routers can also be used to work in bridge mode, but in order for the wireless bridge to be established, there must not be two routers.
Instructions for setting up two Belkin Routers in Bridge Mode:
- Connect the Ethernet cable between one of the four LAN ports on a Belkin wireless router and the computer.
- Open a web browser and type in the address “192.168.2.1”, and then press Enter.
- Click “Enter”. If this is the first time, you log into the router utility, leave the password box blank and click “Submit”. If a password has been set previously, enter the password and then click “Send”.
- Write down the LAN / WAN MAC address under the Status section of the router utility.
- Click on “Bridging Wireless” in the menu on the left.
- Check the “Enable Wireless Bridging.”
- Check the box “Enable unique access points specific to the connection”, then next to “AP1”, enter the WAN / MAC LAN address you had previously written. Click Apply Changes to save the configuration.
- Disconnect the Ethernet cable from the first Belkin router and connect it to one of the four LAN ports on the second Belkin router. Repeat the previous steps to complete the configuration for connecting the two routers.
Advice and warnings
For best results, use the same exact Belkin wireless router model on both routers. If you use different brands of routers or routers with different specifications, then you may experience issues while configuring the routers in bridge mode. Therefore, the best thing to do is use same routers to achieve the desired results.